Oadby & Wigston u15s v Rugby Town Girls u15s

Girls U15s League Cup – the U15s knew it was all to play for & how hard it would be going into today’s game.

Oadby & Wigston were in contention from the off and gave Rugby a scare inside the first two minutes. Not to be deterred Rugby pushed forward to dominate the play in the first half. However, with Rugby’s defence sitting too high Oadby made some chances playing the ball through the Rugby defence. Fortunately for Rugby, goalkeeper Megan stood firm, and showed great bravery when she needed to come off her line.

But it was Rugby who had the most possession and the most chances. But try as Rugby might, corners and crosses into the box weren’t connecting with players in orange shirts & Oadby managed to clear any danger.

A tight and exciting first half saw the score at 0 – 0 at the break and meant both teams came out wanting to push forward to claim a spot in the 1/4 finals. It was Rugby who finally broke the deadlock minutes into the second half with a great header from Lauren, connecting to a Felcity free kick, finding the back of the net.

Oadby kept fighting undeterred taking the game to Rugby. Rugby needed a second. It came 15 minutes later with Chloe tapping in a great cross Felicity at the back post. In this match though, even two up wasn’t a comfortable place to be. Oadby always had the potential to come back and they certainly tried their hardest tondo so. They had their chances against the Rugby defence but Megan held her nerve. On more than one occasion you had to feel for Oadby whose luck seemed to have run out today, on a different day the scoreline could be been entirely different.

With 10 minutes to go Oadby piled on the pressure and were looking to threaten. Rugby pulled the midfield back to bolster the defence & help close down Oadby’s attack.

With 6 mins to go a Rugby break saw Chloe find the net, only for it to be disallowed as offside. With time ticking away it was looking increasingly unlikely that Oadby could come back. Rugby just needed to sit tight until the final whistle.

Hearts in the mouth moments for both sides but it was a great cup match.
All the players did their jobs and gave their all, the hard work they are doing in training is starting to show through in matches.

Full time Oadby & Wigston 0 Rugby Town 2

Special mention to Molly and Megan G for their support & maturity.

Big Thank you to Martin Cox for supplying cakes for both teams to enjoy in celebration of his Birthday……21 again & again & again.

Pictures courtesy of Steve Wilkins